How to Start a STUNT Team!
Learn about the game of STUNT!
If your school is part of an existing state or league playing STUNT, such as California, New York’s PSAL, or North Carolina’s Wake County Public Schools, follow their steps to register to play.
If you are not in an organized sport or club league, complete this interest form to let us know you’re ready to play, and we can help match you up with area teams!
Make copies of the information below and begin to organize in a binder with tabs. Once the season gets started and you have registered your team, you can add your training PowerPoints and 8-count sheets to this as well.
Setup a meeting with your Athletic Director to discuss the possibilities of bringing STUNT to your school.
- Explain what STUNT is and show the “This is STUNT!” Video.
- If implementing STUNT correctly, the sport is Title IX compliant.
- STUNT is designed to be a Spring sport.
- Fees associated with the sport (uniform, mats, registration, and officials’ fees).
- Standard uniform, travel, and officials’ costs similar to volleyball.
- Minimum of 4 mats for practice, 8 to 13 to host games.
- One-time registration fee with USA Cheer for materials, which included proper music licensing, routine videos, 8-count sheets, etc. to play.
- Number of people to field a team –
- 12 minimum is recommended, if unable to meet this minimum contact Bill Ahern for additional options.
- Have your Athletic Director reach out to teams in your league and surrounding leagues to see who is participating or interested in participating.
- Geographically close (same league or a school you play in multiple sports).
- Coach or potential coach working at another school that you personally know well.
- Look for teams that have some competitive cheer background.
- 4 to 6 teams would be an ideal number to have in an initial tournament or to start a league.
- USA Cheer will help to develop initial pool of officials and get them trained.
- Explain what STUNT is and show the “This is STUNT!”
- Explain the need for team support to make this program successful.
- Volunteers to work games (ticket sales, snack bar, scoreboard, announcer, film, stats, setup, etc.)
- Give the season of the sport and timeline (tryouts, practices, game schedule, tournaments, etc.)
- Cover fees associated with the sport.
Once you’re ready to play, register your team so that you can complete the coaches’ training, receive the licensed music, 8-count sheets, and routine videos. To get your STUNT Team Membership for the 2020 season, visit the registration page.
Have your Athletic Director reach out to teams in your league and surrounding leagues to see who is participating. Work with your Athletic Director to set your league schedule and any preseason games, scrimmages, or tournaments based on hosting locations. With the STUNT format, two, three, or four teams can meet in one location and play multiple games over a two or three hour block.
Note, depending on your league’s sports calendar, you may select your team prior to scheduling.
Check with your Athletic Director to find out if there is a certain structure that you must follow or policies that are in place for team selections. Keep in mind you are fielding a team that can perform with specific abilities and talents needed in each quarter of STUNT. An athlete can be a backspot in the Partner Stunt quarter, but never have to take the floor for jumps or tumbling, and a tumbler isn’t required to learn how to base or top stunts. Your pool of athletes can expand to include competitive cheer, gymnastics, weightlifting, and other disciplines!
By the time you are ready to start your season, you should have all the below included in your Coaches Resource Binder.
- Guide for New Coaches (Available on the Resources/Documents page)
- STUNT Rulebook (Available on the Resources/Documents page)
- Hosting Packet (Available on the Resources/Documents page)
- STUNT General Training Part A & B (through your team membership)
- STUNT League-Specific Training (through your team membership)
- 8-count Sheets (through your team membership)
- Stat Sheets (optional depending on league) (Available on the Resources/Documents page)