STUNT coaches do more than just coach skills. There is game prep, in-game strategy, and constant professional development.
Game Prep: A STUNT coach will oversee the conditioning and skill development leading up to the season, then determine which athletes will be involved in which routines based on their strengths and team needs. Coaches will scout future opponents to help determine their game plan and which routines give them the best opportunities to score.
In-Game Strategy: Coaches will implement their game plan during the game, adjusting with game strategies as needed to give their team the best opportunities to win. Unlike coaching cheer competitions, a STUNT coach is active throughout the game, making decisions such as which routine will be performed, whether to call a routine forfeit, or if a timeout is needed.
Professional Development: Coaches will stay up-to-date with game rules, strategies, and best practices by networking and attending available training provided by USA Cheer or the College STUNT Coaches Association.
STUNT coaches are directly responsible for the administration and oversight of their program. They work hand-in-hand with their own staff and various institution departments to ensure that the the program is being run to serve the best interest of the student-athletes and within the parameters set by the athletics department, institution, and any other governing conference or division rules. These duties include:
- Scheduling practices, including securing facilities.
- Scheduling games, including securing home facilities or setting travel for away games.
- Monitoring athletes for compliance, including grades, class hours, and attendance.
- Creating and properly allocating the program budget, including:
- Team Travel
- Recruiting Travel
- Staff Salaries
- Pay or stipends for support staff such as athletic trainers, game support, etc.
Recruiting is the lifeblood of any sports program, and STUNT is no different. STUNT coaches are responsible for recruiting and promoting year-round with division-specific compliance requirements. These duties include:
- Attending USA Cheer Combines where they can connect and evaluate prospective athletes
- Attending other events such as high school/club STUNT games, competitions, and practices
- Attending conferences as an exhibitor/vendor to promote the program, such as high school cheer or weightlifting conferences.
- Creating social media campaigns to attract athletes to the program.
- Using in-home visits to connect with athletes and their parents.
- Overseeing scholarship allocation and guiding potential athletes to the right compliance resources and eligibility centers.
Southwest Baptist University – Head STUNT Coach
Southwest Baptist University, Bolivar, MO
Provides sport-specific instruction during practices
Coaches student-athletes during scheduled games and / or contests
Serves as primary contact for scheduling games
Ensures a balanced budget
Monitors academic progress of student-athletes
Makes travel arrangements for program
Complies with all rules and regulations of the NCAA, GLVC, and SBU
Assists in activities hosted by SBU to facilitate recruitment
Works in cooperation with department members to strengthen all sports programs
Regular attendance and punctuality
Sets an example of a Christian lifestyle for students, staff and faculty
Commitment and adherence to Southwest Baptist University’s Principles and Expectations
Performs duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics
To Apply: Southwest Baptist University Jobs
Tiffin University (OH) – Head STUNT Coach
Position filled: 4/4/2022
Dominican University (IL) – Head STUNT Coach
Position filled: 2/16/2022